[pmwiki-users] Input recipe

Martin Fick fick at fgm.com
Fri Jun 24 11:28:45 CDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 09:23:47AM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Martin Fick wrote:
>
> >No I don't know what all the need for forms are, but I do envision
> >quite a few myself.
>
> Could you list a few? It might help us expand our vision of form usage,
> and that's definitely a Good Thing.
>
> Regards,
> Jo

Sure thing mate! :)

-Support forms (problem reports) which get emailed somewhere.

-Tabular data editing where any row can be edited as a
 separate form. This could even mean editing a DB!  How
 nice would it be to be able to expose a DB table with a
 CGI to allow a simple editor front end to be created and
 layed out with a wiki page?  I think that many software
 companies have small custom applications like this that
 could use wiki support on the front end so that the front
 end can adapt to how the users think best fit.

Wiki specific functions:

-Create a form that adds pages to trails so that a user
 does not need to understand bulleted lists to edit a
 trail.

-Create a form that breaks a page into multiple sections
 that each get edited in a sepearate input box.  Think of a
 page describing a photo with a title section, a
 description section, a categories section, a rating
 section...

-New page templates, like above.

-Calendars.  An input box to represent each day.  This
 could include small custom calendars that might span only
 a short duration such as a week for a conference where a
 generic calendar might be ugly. Like a schedule listing.

-Quizes with each persons answers filling out a separate
 page or  being emailed somewhere.

-News/Event pages  (user fills out a box of text and a
 tilte which get prepended to a page.

-Blogs

-The obvious "edit page", the password page, other admin
 pages?

With pagelist enhancements:

-Create pagelist forms somehow which can operate on multiple pages.
  Example a pagelist returns a list of pages with checkboxes next
  to them.  A user can then check several pages and add a category
  name to an input box.  This category than gets appended to every
  page that was checked.

-Hmm, Imagine a pagelist returning a menu instead of a list.

  This is just the tip of the iceberg, I'm just an
uncreative software engineer ;), don't underestimate what
others could think of still!

  Some of these cases could be serviced by very simple safe
backends that would support the creation of an unlimited
amount of forms.  (The DB editor, the page section editor,
the email form editor)

  I Hope that helps a little,

  -Martin