[pmwiki-users] Re: authuser and .htgroups

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Thu Jun 30 02:29:51 CDT 2005

H. Fox wrote:
> On 6/29/05, Jeremy Sproat <sproaticus at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I suggest using a separate array for authentication schemes.  We're
>>  mixing login names and login schemes in $AuthUser.  Hypothetically
>>  speaking, it is possible for a user to legitimately want the
>> username "ldap" but not be able to because that name is used for
>> something else.  A more realistic example is "pam" - could be
>> Pamela's login name, or we might be checking passwords against
>> Linux-PAM (http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/).
>
> Instead of using 'pam', how about 'Linux-PAM' or even just 'PAM' in
> capital letters.

I have to agree with Jeremy here. Capital letters aren't a guarantee
against namespace collision (uppercase letters in user names are quite
common everywhere except in the Unix world).
Besides, we might want to add a new scheme and later get a report
somebobdy's login name happens to collide with the new authentication
scheme identifier - ulch.

Besides, it's really cleaner to put the stuff into a separate array.
It's more accessible for recipe writers; otherwise, they'd have to read
PmWiki code to find out how schemes are differentiated from users (and
if that behavior changes, recipes relying on it might break).

Separating the stuff into a separate array should also be technically
the simplest solution :-)

Regards,
Jo