[pmwiki-users] Re: authuser and .htgroups

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jun 30 09:02:17 CDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 09:39:22PM -0700, H. Fox wrote:

> What I'm really wondering is how groups would be specified. :-)

I'm still working on this.  As you mentioned, part of the
problem is that we have a terminology collision with the word
"group".

> I'm hoping (auth)groups support will happen before the stable release
> because of how it simplifies administration.  Specifically,
> maintaining role-based access controls using groups seems much easier
> than keeping track of all users individually.

I'll keep this in mind.  Part of the challenge is getting the data
structure correct so that authenticating group membership doesn't
always require an exhaustive scan of all of the groups every time it's
needed.  (Yes, there are several ways to do this -- I just have to choose
from the appropriate set.)