[pmwiki-users] Re: Wishes: PDF Export

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Tue Mar 1 15:37:31 CST 2005

On Tuesday, 1 March 2005 9:42 PM, chr at home.se wrote:
>On 1 Mar 2005, John Rankin wrote:
>
>> The advantage of using an intermediate xml format is that we can
>> potentially transform this to other formats as well.
>
>Sounds very nice! Eventually it should then be a breeze to convert a
>wiki page to LyX (which probably we'll use xml someday).

The process uses xslt to transform the intermediate xml to LaTeX and
thence to pdf. So it is a trivial matter to modify the xsl code to
produce LyX markup instead of LaTeX. This is left as an exercise for
the reader :)

The thinking is that the Typeset button will one day allow the
publisher to choose output formats: xml (general-purpose DTD),
LaTeX, pdf, LyX, Open Office... The architecture allows this.
The challenge is to achieve a loss-less conversion from wiki
to raw xml. Unfortunately, wiki markup is so rich that this is
not a trivial matter.

--
JR