[pmwiki-users] Images--Uploads Content Management

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Mon Mar 7 20:18:08 CST 2005

wiki newbie here looking for the voice of experience.

Before enabling uploads I would like some sense of the best content
management model. Of course sometimes it's half-dozen one way and 6 the
other. On the other hand, experience may have led to an optimum...

Let's take 3concrete examples:
	1. some user wants to upload their photo for their personal author
home page in the wiki... where does it best want to live?

/pmwiki/pub/images/

/pmwiki/images

public_html/
	/pmwiki/
	/images

2. Some user wants to upload a diagram the illustrates data flow
related to a functional specification for a web app under development.
All pages will be under one group name  SomeProject.SpecFirstDraft

3. our photographer in Nepal uploads photo thumbnails specific to an
article in our magazine that is in deep background development. Our
editors don't want to find these all littered in with other photos...
they want to see photo, caption, photo caption.. etc. on some wiki
page(s) to make selections before choosing to call for the hi-res
versions.

In web dev we tend to follow a fairly simple but precise guide: images
pulled site wide are in an image directory at docroot. Images only
pulled into web page from pages inside a web area, have an images
directory inside the directory with the files that use them... files in
other directories do not ever pull those images. etc.

public_html
	/images
		siteWideLogo.jpg

public_html
	/books/
		/booksOnlyNavBar.jpg

So wiki wise, how do you withered n' wise wikis sages do it?

Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
www.HimalayanAcademy.com,
www.HinduismToday.com