[pmwiki-users] on over-bundling

Tom Holroyd tomh at kurage.nimh.nih.gov
Tue Mar 8 22:32:45 CST 2005

> Basically, a core wiki coupled with one or several mod paths.
> ... the Cookbook is getting out of hand.

Perhaps we could start a section detailing which cookbook mods
and configuration options are the most popular, which "go
together", and perhaps document which ones you need for a
particular type of Wiki.

This would help to make the documentation less flat, by binding
together the "feature bundles" that one might want.

For example, my wiki is basically of the "living documentation"
sort, with a FAQ and software downloads and a "news" page. I have
my own skin, but based on Beeblebrox-gila2; I have GUI buttons
and disabled WikiWords; I'm using RSS, mimetex, extendedmarkup,
and (heh) smileys (which sometimes get confused by (: markup :)
documentation, I might add).  I have a localmap.txt and some
other custom mods, too, that I did myself.  I'm using that new
template feature, too, but that's in the core now.  I also use
ParseArgs().  I'm actually tempted to say it's nearly a vanilla
install, since almost everything I use is in the core (I need
mimetex, though, and probably the BibTeX stuff, eventually).

What would be the best format for a collection of entries like
this?  Just a bunch of descriptions of other people's wikis?
Keeping it all together guarantees that you know what "goes
together" although it's not made explicit, and it's certainly not
obvious why some things are there.

Dr. Tom Holroyd
"A man of genius makes no mistakes. His errors are volitional and
are the portals of discovery." -- James Joyce