[pmwiki-users] "Dynamic" wiki trails - passing along the name of the trail page

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Mar 9 07:58:34 CST 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 10:50:45AM +0100, chr at home.se wrote:
> While on the topic of wiki trails... there is one drawback with the
> current implementation (even when augmented with categories to generate
> the trail). [...] It would therefore be nice if we
> could somehow pass along an "argument" for when browsing a page that
> contains the name of the trail page. Let's imagine that going to this URI
>
> 	http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/SomePage?trail=Test/TrailPage
>
> would show Test.SomePage with a trail at the top and/or bottom of the
> page [...]

This was John Rankin's original conception of trails -- I didn't implement
it at the time because of the issue of automatically adding the trail into
the page.  But we still have the option of doing this.

> It doesn't feel so good to force where the trail links are shown, so
> unless you modify the template to allocate space for the trail, I think
> we'll need a special markup which will then be replaced with the "dynamic"
> trail.

I propose <<||>>, or perhaps even <<|{$Trail}|>>.

But this still feels like a halfway measure to me -- if we're going this far,
there ought to be some way to have the trail automatically appear
even w/o the markup.  But so far the mechanisms I can imagine for doing this
aren't very pleasing.