[pmwiki-users] Re: Perfection and Menus (WAS: on over-bundling) . . .

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Wed Mar 9 22:22:46 CST 2005

As a complete wiki novice, now wiki admin, who does not know PHP
(daring, but possible, thanks to PM's framework) but long HTML and
xTalk coder, dealing with dozens of totally "naive" wiki users, some of
whom will become "admins" in their own areas,  for whom GUI  point and
click, mark up tools are standard on most any other mark up interface
they might have dealt with (InDesign CS, GoLive, DreamWeaver, BBEdit,
etc. ) I would second these...

>> installing PmWiki for the first time can easily get
>>     their wiki to act like what they saw at pmwiki.org
>>
>> to bring something into the core if only to provide (and commit to) a
>> standard that others can reliably build from.  (The GUI bar falls
>> into this category, as will user authorizations.)

Mark up is at the core of wiki usage, tools to do that obviously belong
there. As soon as I see "cookbook" and "install this
fooGreatNewGadget.php"  etc. my lens implants fog up. Of course, they
will clear up eventually, but we need to fly this bird today. We have
to constantly "battle" against the tendency create frameworks that
reflect our own personal advancements,  while leaving others behind.
The result is, almost always, you will do *all* the work.

I too examined many wiki options and the PM philosophy "continuous
usablity by naive users while simultaneously advancing toward more
complex implementations." was the fundamental to the choice.

Thank you, PM....

Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery