[pmwiki-users] Re: PmWikiDraw - A new future?

Ciaran ciaranj at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 03:26:27 CST 2005

Hi Franz,
Yes I recall, about porting DIA symbols ? You never responded to my reply :)
JGraphPad does appear quite heavyweight in its functionality although
I don't particularly see that as a problem :) I think perhaps I need
to reconsider PmWikiDraw's functionality, as I see it its for doing
quick diagrams that I want to share amongst a team and allow them to
edit simply and easily.  JGraphPad is effectively a full visio
replacement, which I see no need to do with PmWikiDraw, it shouldn't
be that powerful as I don't want that much power in my online
collaboration.  One thing that JGraphPad does appear to offer that I
am unlikely to ever offer is 'Live-mode' where people can use it as a
whiteboard.  I was quite keen on JGraphPad, but when I actually used
it I found its' interface to be quite klunky and slow to react :(
- Ciaran

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:16:09 +0100, Franz Pförtsch
<franz.pfoertsch at brose.net> wrote:
> Hi Ciaran,
>
> I didn't use PmWikiDraw on my productiv wiki, because it is an pmwiki v1.
> I wrote some mail about expanding the PmWikiDraw (svg/library/..) to you.
> The JGraphPad looks very nice, but does it have to much functions?
> For me it also have not to be backward compatible.
>
> regards
> Franz
>
> Ciaran wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I'm not sure how many people use PmWikiDraw if any! But I'm currently
> > trying to decide where it should go :)
> >
> > Originally I ported TWikiDraw from the TWiki project, which was based
> > around JHotDraw 5, but I then upgraded the codebase to support java
> > swing, allowing for fancy things such as line formatting etc, which
> > sat on top of JHotDraw 6.  But as I add more features I'm taking it
> > closer and closer to JGraphPad, http://www.jgraph.com/jgraphpad.html .
> >  This project appears to have a lot more community support and has
> > many more import/export abilities, it also supports UML etc much more
> > natively than PmWikiDraw currently does.
> >
> > I'm considering leaving PmWikiDraw2 where it is, and launching
> > PmWikiDraw3 based around JGraphPad, I just wanted to ask if people
> > thought this was a good or a bad idea :) The main problem is that
> > JGraphPad + JhotDraw use completely different file formats, I could
> > possibly write some conversion routines but I couldn't guarantee that
> > these would work 100% because they both use different concepts.  I
> > *really* like a lot of the features in JGraphPad, and although I could
> > spend time building these into PmWikiDraw, it would perhaps be more
> > beneficial to just move platforms... answers on a post-card please :)

- Ciaran
(I now have far too many G-Mail invites available, anyone who wants
one, gets one)