[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Re: Dynamic wiki trails

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Tue Mar 15 18:26:51 CST 2005

On Wednesday, 16 March 2005 12:48 PM, chr at home.se wrote:
>> If a particular page is on more than one trail, it gets more than one
>> set of previous / next links.
>
>Ahem... that's actually something I would like to be able to avoid in some
>cases.

RATS! I give up.

>> Thought: what if we put [[!Trail]] on any trail pages?
>
>Patrick has the point that specifying the name of a this particular
>category is not so nice. I agree because of the reason that it'll get
>annoying in other languages...

To be sure; one would want to translate the label into the local
language, but the principle of labelling the page still applies.

>> Then Category.Trail will list all trail pages in the wiki and can
>> be used to generate trail navigation for any page. There may be a
>> performance issue with big sites, but perhaps there is a way around
>> that.
>
>I think we'd all like to be able to generate a trail based on category
>pages in general... actually, didn't I suggest that in some other post?

You young turks have to be patient with us silver surfers, we have a hard
time keeping up.

>Sound ideas, and I think the strategy you just described could be very
>useful for some sites. For my particular application I think it'd be too
>limited however :-(

Hmmm. Is the /only/ limitation the one about showing one trail at a time,
depending on some criteria? What about this scenario:

If I just happen onto a page, pmwiki shows all the trails the page is on.

Once I start following a trail, whether I link from a page labelled
[[!trail]] (in your local language) or by starting to follow a trail
from a page I landed on from elsewhere, the other trail links disappear.

But if I leave the trail, pmwiki shows all the trails the new page is on.

Or perhaps, pmwiki /always/ shows the trails each page is on, but only
previous and next links for the trail I am currently following.

And this would be an option you could turn on and off.

This could be achieved, I think, by combining [[!trail]] labels with
?trail=TrailPage in the url for previous and next links.

Would that work for you?

--
JR