[pmwiki-users] Re: A (:comment:) markup enhancement

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Mar 16 01:53:39 CST 2005

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 10:48:22PM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> >>If you need multiline comments (that can include other directives),
> >>try using (:if false:):
> >>
> >>   (:if false:)
> >>   here is some
> >>   text
> >>   (:searchbox:)
> >>   with other directives
> >>   (:if:)
> >
> >This definitely should be included into PmWiki documentation or as a
> >Cookbook recipe!
>
> Yes, this is a very shiny nugget of knowledge!

Can someone write it up as a cookbook recipe or in an appropriate
place in the docs for me?

> I am running into some other kind of open/close problem  with [=...=].
>
> I tried to post a note to my authors saying:
>         If you enter 3 tildes (~~~) in a row, PmWIki will automatically
> insert your name.
> My markup was:
>         ... 3 tildes [=(~~~)=] in a row ...
> which renders exactly the way I want in preview, but renders when saved as:
>         ... 3 tildes ([[~NeilHerber]]) in a row ...
> ?????
>
> Note that just plain old (~~~) renders the same way (linked name) for
> preview and save.

~~~ is a "replace on save" markup -- the tildes are replaced with the
author's name at the time the page is saved.  For a variety of reasons,
it's not a trivial matter to preserve them when they appear inside of
[=...=].

The workarounds are anything that causes the three tildes to not directly
appear together, such as:
    [=~~=]~
    ~~~