[pmwiki-users] Linking to Categories

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Mar 16 10:34:07 CST 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 11:10:53AM -0500, Martin Fick wrote:
> Is it possible to link to a category page without being in the category?

Well, no and yes.  At the moment a page is considered to be in a category
if it has any page links to the category page, so it kinda goes against
the definition.

But we have some workarounds available.  First, you could try using
a url link instead of a page link.  But this does seem like the "wrong
way to do it".

Second, you can do it with a bit of search trickery.  If you change
the category pagelist code to be

    (:pagelist Category.{$Name} list=normal -'nocategory' :)

then you could put

    (:comment nocategory:)

on any page that you don't want to appear in category listings, even
if the page has links to category pages.

It's been mentioned in the past that we might want to differentiate
between normal page links and category page links for purposes of
determining a page's membership in a category, but so far it hasn't
been a high priority, and we're still learning about categories here.