translating Apache Klingon to English (was: Re: [pmwiki-users] farm security)

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Wed Mar 16 14:52:12 CST 2005

At 2005-03-16  07:52 PM +0000, Hans is rumored to have said:
>Wednesday, March 16, 2005, 7:38:54 PM, Neil wrote:
> > I always thought they were a variant of Klingon. And I made the rash
> > assumption that someone with a name like yours wouldn't have too much
> > difficulty with Bavarian dialects. ;-)
>
>Ahh, I do understand the words, but what is the meaning of it all?
>The link to apache docu is a real killer!
>
>Quote:
>
>For example, without any + and - symbols:
><Directory /web/docs>
>Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
></Directory>
>
><Directory /web/docs/spec>
>Options Includes
></Directory>
>
>then only Includes will be set for the /web/docs/spec directory.
>However if the second Options directive uses the + and - symbols:
>
><Directory /web/docs>
>Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
></Directory>
>
><Directory /web/docs/spec>
>Options +Includes -Indexes
></Directory>
>
>then the options FollowSymLinks and Includes are set for
>the /web/docs/spec directory.
>

>Ahh this is refreshing reading indeed!
>
>Best,
>~Hans

They actually do a reasonable job of explaining this:

>Whenever a '+' or '-' prefixed keyword is encountered, it is applied to
>the current IndexOptions settings (which may have been inherited from an
>upper-level directory). However, whenever an unprefixed keyword is
>processed, it clears all inherited options and any incremental settings
>encountered so far. Consider the following example:
>
>IndexOptions +ScanHTMLTitles -IconsAreLinks FancyIndexing
>IndexOptions +SuppressSize
>
>The net effect is equivalent to IndexOptions FancyIndexing +SuppressSize,
>because the unprefixed FancyIndexing discarded the incremental keywords
>before it, but allowed them to start accumulating again afterward.
>
>To unconditionally set the IndexOptions for a particular directory,
>clearing the inherited settings, specify keywords without any + or - prefixes.

Either that, or I know more Klingon than I thought I did.

The basic rules are:
* subdirectories inherit IndexOptions settings from higher-level directories
* to add another option to the inheritance, do +option
* to remove an option from the inheritance, do -option
* to clear all inherited options and start over, do option

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668