[pmwiki-users] block preformat, spaceless?

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Fri Mar 18 14:56:38 CST 2005

At 2005-03-19  07:42 AM +1100, A Kabaila is rumored to have said:
>On Saturday 19 March 2005 03:42, pmwiki-users-request at pmichaud.com wrote:
>....snip....
> > I still can't figure out how to wrap the following inside (:markup:) [= ...
> > =] and have it display properly:
> >
> >   [=
> > An item
> > Another item
> > A third item =]
>
>Forgive the confusion of old, but I do not understand your problem.  I just
>tried the following markup:
>
>[= %red%
>  %green% =] And is this text red or green? No, it remains black, since
> the two
>markups are in special "code killing" brackets.
>
>And got the following result:
>
>%red% %green% And is this text red or green? No, it remains black, since the
>two markups are in special "code killing" brackets.
>
>The above seems to indicate that [= xxx =] works ok.
>
>BTW, I could not stop ~~~~ completely by putting it in brackets thus:
>[=~~~~=]
>This seems to get partly parsed on the first parsing of the page.  It becomes
>difficult to show how to use ~~~~ to the end users.
>
>I hope to miss having to go to the corner again...

Old Al

The problem is evident (and impossible to describe on a PmWiki page) if you
enter the following into an edit window and look at the rendered result:

=====example starts below====
(:markup:) [=
    [=
An item
Another item
A third item =]

=]
========example ends above===

Ideally, when rendered this should show a split box with this in the top:

    [=
An item
Another item
A third item =]

                     and this in the bottom:

An item
Another item
A third item

But what you get looks nothing like that.

As to your question about the four tildes, it is answered here:
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/MarkupTricks
under "Displaying directives"

Neil

Neil Herber