[pmwiki-users] New skin: Pukka Float

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Mar 18 21:50:03 CST 2005

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 01:40:10PM -0500, Bronwyn Boltwood wrote:

> Yes and yes.  Pages load faster when there are fewer file requests.
> But, pages also load faster when they use .css files instead of
> embedded styles, because the .css file can be cached, instead of
> wasting bandwidth on exactly the same embedded styles for every page.

However, if you turn the .css file into a php script as is being done here
(either via tricks in .htaccess, or by actually having a .php script
return the CSS), you lose any caching advantage because the webserver
sees it as a dynamic script and sends back headers that indicate that
the browser should not be caching the output.

You can fix this by including more PHP header() calls in the script
that tell the browsers it is okay to cache the output.  I'm just
pointing out that as written in Pukka the css files probably aren't
cached.