[pmwiki-users] Re: Catogory logistics(WAS: onover-bundling)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Mar 19 08:46:22 CST 2005

On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 06:25:34AM +0530, V.Krishn wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 March 2005 11:50, pmwiki-users-request at pmichaud.com wrote:
> ...snip...
> > The magic is in the Category.GroupFooter page.  Category.GroupFooter
> > contains markup to be added to the end of every page in the
> > Category group, and I've set the group footer to be:
> >
> >     (:pagelist Category.{$Name} fmt=simple list=normal:)
> Shouldn't this be just:
>       (:pagelist {$Name} fmt=simple list=normal:) ?

Only if you want to find every page that contains the current category
name in any context.  For example, if we're looking at Category.XYZ
when the (:pagelist:) command is executed, then

    (:pagelist {$Name} fmt=simple list=normal:)

would list every page that has "xyz" (case-insensitive) in it somewhere,
whether it's a reference to Category.XYZ or not.

> This confuses me. Technically none of the wiki pages would have
> "Category.Uploads" in them as TEXT.
> ...As for having them as LINK, this would mean that caterory searching
> logic/code would be taking each wiki page then either:
> 1. processing the wiki text fully, in which case its a very-Heavy-load on the
> server.

PmWiki doesn't have to process the wiki text "fully" to find the outgoing
links -- it already generates and saves a list of outgoing links at the
time a page is saved.  So, all it has to do is a simply string search
of the markup of text and this list of links.  When I add the link=
option to (:pagelist:), it will only search the list of links.