[pmwiki-users] password 'override' order

jf at tap3x.net jf at tap3x.net
Wed Mar 16 11:19:11 CST 2005

I'm new at pmWiki, so please bear with me. I've set up a pmWiki
site, and everything seems to be working well. But I am confused
about how the various types of passwords work with respect to each
other. In the documentation it says 'In PmWiki, page passwords
override group passwords, group passwords override the default
passwords, and the admin password overrides all passwords.'
I schematize that like this: adminpass > pagepass > grouppass >
defaultpass, with ">" meaning "override". But I'm not exactly sure
what override means in this context.

I have set an adminpass, and also set grouppass1, and pagepass1
for page1 and the group (group1) that it is in. Therefore, with
adminpass, I am permitted to edit page1, and with pagepass1 I can
also get into edit page1. But with grouppass1, I cannot. Is this how
things work, or have I done something wrong?

What I want to be able to do, in other words, is the following:
1) allow certain people in to edit certain pages (using the respective
pagepass for each page); 2) edit anything I want, and set attributes
using adminpass; and 3) give one person in each group (to whom I
don't want to give the adminpass) one group password - the
respective grouppass for her/his group - which will allow her/him all
the pages in that group with one password. Is that possible?

Thanks,
Jack

http:/tap3x.net/EMBTI/journal.html