[pmwiki-users] Long link text (was: Modified (:markup:))

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Sun Mar 20 16:52:56 CST 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> > > And I *really* dislike the idea of directive markups that span multiple
> > > lines in a single directive, as in
> >
> > Mileage varies I guess... to me it's not that different from:
> > 	[[This is the link text \
> > 	  -> http://long.and.complicated.uri/much/too/long/in/fact]]
> >
> > but that doesn't mean I like it of course.
>
> The difference being that the \ at the end of each line is an explicit
> visual cue that things continue onto the next line -- (:markup ...:)
> across several lines doesn't have such a cue.

Well, how about the example on this page:

	http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/VeryLongLinkText

where I've written something like

	[[Bla ... [=
	A very long link text.
	It let's us write the link text on many lines.
	=] -> http://www.pmwiki.org]]

This trick might actually be useful if you need to write a really long
link text...

Alternatively, it's an argument why we'd want some other mechanism for
grouping text together... I mean, what if we'd like a really long link
text that also parsed stuff like {$Group}?  Maybe we do need something to
create the equivalent of a "string"-argument to a directive?

/Christian