[pmwiki-users] Group and page name aren't recognized by pmwiki.php

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Mar 22 17:18:33 CST 2005

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:59:15PM +0100, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> I'm having serious trouble getting the "nice URL" recipes from the
> Cookbook to work. I'm not sure where exactly the problem is, I suspect
> misunderstandings on my side and/or a PmWiki bug.
> [...]

Are you following http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/CleanUrls?
It seems like it should do exactly what you're looking for here.
If not, why not?

> The .htaccess file looks like this:
>
>   RewriteEngine on
>   RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/*(pmwiki\.php|pub)/+.*$
>   RewriteRule ^(.*)$ pmwiki.php/$1 [L,NS]

This last RewriteRule is bad, because it's going to try to redirect
everything to pmwiki.  That's probably not what you want.  Most
of the CleanUrls recipes take advantage of the fact that group
names begin with an uppercase letter.  Also, rather than give PmWiki
pathnames, just switch it to the ?n= syntax:

   RewriteRule ^([A-Z].*)$ pmwiki.php?n=$1 [L,qsappend]

With this in place, you shouldn't have to worry at all about
RewriteCond.

If there's a reason why the simple recipe in Cookbook.CleanUrls
won't work, let me know and we'll go from there.