[pmwiki-users] pmwiki - questions & suggestions

schnitzel meister schnitzelmeister at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 07:23:35 CST 2005

Hello!

I've been using pmwiki for a while now, and during this time I have
come to like pmwiki's simplicity.

We use it for internal server documentation, something I don't think
pmwiki is aimed at. I have a few annoyances I'd like to share, in the
hope that someone can suggest a better way of doing things, or maybe
even get some feedback.

Question 1 - Suppress wiki words for a block
If I post a config file onto pmwiki, I can use the simple [= =] tags
to supress automatic formatting. Unfortunately this includes the
automatic line breaks and "lines beginning with a space" highlighting.
Is there a built-in pmwiki-way of suppressing just wiki words for a
block of text?
(I don't want to use Beautifier, etc)

Question 2 - Move from categories to tags?
Pmwiki uses hierachical categories for each page. A page on a wiki can
only ever belong to a single category. Many pages on my wiki would fit
in more than one category, but end up being pushed into a specific
category because they have to be. This makes it difficult for users to
find things - may resort to the search engine since the catgories are
not useful.
Are there any plans to move away from this?

I was comparing pmwiki to flickr and gmail.
A photo on flickr (or even an e-mail on gmail) may have the tags
"family" "holiday" "florida".

If pmwiki used the same system, we could have a page such as:
 pmwiki.box/TripToDisneyWorld
The page would be accessible from every page on the wiki under the
link TripToDisneyWorld (no more "which category was it in again?")

There could also be a tags page that lists everything within each category:
 pmwiki.box/Tag:family

I realise this is quite a big change, and that there are workarounds
that allow something similar, but I was hoping for something built
deeper into pmwiki that allows people to add pages and classify them
properly. The current workaround seems to be a bit hacky, and it
confuses the users.

Thanks a lot.