[pmwiki-users] i18n and iso-8859-13

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Mar 31 09:09:56 CST 2005

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 08:06:24PM +1000, Algis Kabaila wrote:

> First and foremost - a big thank you to Patrick for his two replies and to
> Joachim for his welcome contribution.

You're welcome!

> Whilst I know Lithuanian fluently, I am prepared to an about turn of 180
> degrees.  I tried PmWiki site for Lithuanian (with a small translation).  As
> I understand it, it runs with utf-8.  It was able to display all "Lithuanian"
> diacriticals correctly.  I was convinced that it would not work, as, as far
> as I know, my keyboard issues one byte code for each keypress (KDE keyboard
> setup, with Lithuanian diacriticals in the top numeric row of keyboard).  So
> there has to be a mapping performed and, I would think, there is a flag that
> signals the type of mapping.

Actually, I think the mapping is performed by the browser application
(or perhaps one of the OS libraries it uses).  Any keypresses are
automatically converted into the character encoding required by the
page being displayed.  By the time PmWiki receives the form submission
the user's browser has already done the work of converting characters
to utf-8 (or windows-1257, or iso-8859-*, or whatever the page has
specified as the encoding).