[pmwiki-users] Re: Unwanted creation of Wiki-Group

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri May 6 10:30:07 CDT 2005

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 08:45:32PM +1000, Al Kabaila wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I recall some discussion in these pages of limiting the creation of
> WikiGroups, creation which happens inadvertently.  Unfortunately, I can not
> recall if the question was resolved.
>
> Such group creation has happened on our site more frequently than I like.
> Usually someone mistypes the name of the Group in the full name of a page and
> proceeds to create the WikiGroup.
>
> Because of this, I would like to restrict the creation of wiki groups by a
> password or some other means.  Is it possible and if so, how?

Solution 1:  assuming all of your wikigroups have RecentChanges pages...

    $rc = FmtPageName('$Group.RecentChanges', $pagename)
    if (!PageExists($rc))
      $DefaultPasswords['edit'] = $DefaultPasswords['admin'];

causes creation of a new page to require either an existing
RecentChanges page for the group or the administrator password.

Solution 2:  Block all edits with a site-wide edit password, then
    use "nopass" for the edit password in the GroupAttributes page
    of any groups in which you wish to allow editing and creation of
    new pages.

Solution 3:  See Cookbook/LimitWikiGroups.

There's other ways to do it, but these are the ones I can think
of at the moment.  I like solution #1 because it means an administrator
can create a new group simply by creating a new page in the group,
while the others require setting up another file first.