[pmwiki-users] alt vs. title

Thomas -Balu- Walter list+pmwiki-users at b-a-l-u.de
Sun May 29 16:59:25 CDT 2005

On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 09:42:48PM +0200, malexism wrote:
> Patrick Ogay a écrit :
> >IMHO a working crossbrowser "alt text feature" for links and pics would
> >be a nice improvement.
>
> the "alt" is only for images, and for browser which don't display images
> (lynx) or with images off. Links do not have alt. Titles are for links,
> images, etc. It's normal than Gecko do not display popup with alt. May
> be IE display title ?
>
> May be PmWiki sould do a "title" and not a "alt" ?
> Sure, it would be very usefull to have titles for objects like images,
> and links.

No. As you said there is a difference between title and alt. title can
be used for (nearly? need to check W3C) _all_ tags and is to be used for
tooltips.

Alt is an alternative text for browsers without image support (or images
disabled like I have on my mobile) - and especially for handicapped
people.

The tooltips are not always necessary or useful, alt tags are very
important for those reasons.

     Balu