[pmwiki-users] OFF TOPIC: request for some wiki usage examples

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Tue May 31 22:17:20 CDT 2005

Greetings

... and apologies in advance for using this list to solicit help not
directly related to PmWiki.

I am in the midst of preparing a short paper titled "Using Wikis as a
Low-Cost Knowledge Sharing Tool" and I would like to be able to include a
few short descriptions of how people are using PmWiki (or any other wiki)
to preserve and transmit "corporate memory".

My paper (which has been accepted based on its abstract) is to be presented
at the Institute of Nuclear Materials Management (INMM
http://www.inmm.org/) 46th annual meeting. I can supply the abstract to
anyone who would like to see it before responding to me.

I am looking for both positive and negative experiences in using wikis. For
example, one group I have talked to used a wiki for about a year until the
corporate champion for the wiki was transferred to another division - then
the wiki died. Several groups I have talked to are unwilling or unable to
have their organization named either due to security concerns or to avoid
endorsing particular wikis.

Please let me know if it would be possible to cite you or your employer and
what kind of attribution (if any) you would require in the citation. I will
send you a copy of the text I propose to include for your approval.

I can either pose some questions to you (via email or phone - your choice)
or you can send me a brief statement describing your experiences. The
*minimum* I need to have is something like this:

"XYZ A.G. is experimenting with using a wiki as an indexing system for
their corporate file servers. This allows the users to supply meta-data
about the files and provide direct links to them via a browser. In less
than 2 months they have generated 3000 index pages that describe over
20,000 files on their network."

Thanks for any and all offers of help!

Neil

Neil Herber