[pmwiki-users] Weird search result

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Nov 1 10:31:55 CST 2005

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 04:25:12PM +0100, Roman wrote:
> Wierd is that although group and page names in links are case
> insensitive, pagelist is case sensitive. That's why "Pmwiki" is
> considered as a different group. I think that all pages in your
> example should be listed within one group.

Except that "Pmwiki" is in fact a different group from "PmWiki",
so that'd be misleading.

I don't have a quick fix for this problem because it's a result
of the way PHP is performing string comparisons, which in turn
depends on the site's locale setting.  For the en_US locale, which
is what pmwiki.org is using, string comparisons in sort are therefore
case insensitive by default.

I can probably force the sort algorithm to do a case-sensitive sort,
but in doing so we'd probably end up losing all of the other
very useful locale-based sorting features -- i.e., "é" would then
sort after "z".  I think the present situation is probably
better.  And the fact that the group name is called out in the
middle helps to highlight the fact that there are in fact two
groups with the same name and something probably needs to be fixed.

Pm