[pmwiki-users] Polish vs polis (was: A Wiktionary with PmWiki?)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Nov 10 14:42:51 CST 2005

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 09:35:55AM +1300, John Rankin wrote:
> On Friday, 11 November 2005 9:28 AM, Bronwyn Boltwood <arndis at gmail.com> wrote:
> >On 11/10/05, chr at home.se <chr at home.se> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >Anyway, the thing about [[polish]] vs [[Polish]] makes me wonder if this
> >is something we need to handle differently. Maybe the system could work as
> >follows (inspired by google): When you click on [[polish]], but [[Polish]]
> >also exist, you can get the text "Did you mean: [[Polish]]".
> >Or maybe we could have an action/link for listing pages with a similar
> >name (including minor mispellings)
> >
> > Wikipedia has a pretty good solution for this, with their
> >disambiguation pages
> >(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disambiguation).
> >example:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury
> >
> Yes and the subpage markup in the Cookbook provides a way to support
> this for PmWiki, although it needs a bit of refinement.

For some reason I presumed that the original poster was already
aware of disambiguation pages, and that disambiguation wasn't
considered sufficient for his particular application (a Wiktionary).
But yes, using disambiguation pages is certainly a workable approach
for dealing with multiple meanings (or cases) of the same term.