[pmwiki-users] Re: White space indent for pmwiki.org/wiki/TestWS

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Nov 14 10:00:31 CST 2005

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 04:25:37PM +0100, chr at home.se wrote:
> > > Hi Patrick
> > >
> > > I'd just like to check that indentation based on whitespace is activated
> > > for this group:
>
> You didn't really answer this, but from the answer below I assume WS
> indent indeed is active at pmwiki.org.

It's active, but I wouldn't rely on any particular functionality
of the WS markup until after a release is made.

> > > 	* This
> > > 	  should become a single line
> >
> > It's a bit complicated, but the answer is that PmWiki currently treats
> > the ws indent as being a separate (nested but not indented)  block from
> > the list item itself.

> I thought some more about this, and this type of indentation becomes
> rather pointless for me if it doesn't act as a line continuation for the
> first line...
>
> > I agree it's a little confusing.  I'm not sure it's easily fixable yet,
> > but I'll keep thinking on it.
>
> Ok, let me know if you'd like some help here, perhaps discussing what the
> problem is?

It's just an issue of getting all of the <p>'s and blocks
into the correct places.  The problem is that given a line
beginning with spaces, PmWiki has to figure out if it should
be part of the previous line or if it introduces a new paragraph.
And we also have to worry about (:linebreaks:) mode so that
want the text to be on a separate line (and this might not
be immediately solvable either).

> Btw, I can see how it'd definitely be useful to easily be able to start a
> new paragraph by simply writing something like this:
>
> 	* This is a line,
> 	  where this text goes in the first entry.
>
> 	  This line on the other hand is a new paragraph.
> 	  However, this line also belongs to the new paragraph.
>
> which (I think) ought to render something as follows:
>
> 	* This is a line, where this text goes in the first entry
>
> 	  This line on the other hand is a new paragraph. However,
>           this line also belongs to the new paragraph.
>
> Is this the *intended* behaviour of the white-space indented markup?

I'm not committing to any specific behavior yet, but yes,
it would be nice if we could do this.