[pmwiki-users] Re: Flagging Bare Wikiwords . . .

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Sun Nov 20 17:17:09 CST 2005

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, Ben Wilson wrote:

> Okay, I like the 2.1 Beta 1 adoption of WikiWords off by default. I've
> been slowly moving the sites I manage toward this goal, so, at least for
> me, this is a step in the right direction.
>
> However, I would like to know the least invasive way to flag those links
> so I can catch them. That is, when they are off, they don't stand out.
> What I would like is these former-links to have a CSS class assigned so
> I can mark it up that way.

I've also been thinking on how to handle this transition... I was thinking
of another way of flagging these links, but maybe it can be combined.
Here's the algorithmic approach I've been thinking (loosely) about.

* For each wiki page, do the following
** Set wikiwords on
** Download the page as HTML
** Set wikiwords off
** Download the page as HTML
** Now compare the HTML of the two pages, hopefully only links
   due to wikiwords will be different.

One way to enable wikiwords for a single page is to create a separate
file, config/Group.Page.php, that enables wikiwords for that page only.
This requires access to the server off course... as an alternative, if
there was some special action to enable wiki words, it could probably all
be done remotely.

Anyway, these are just loose thoughts... I'm not sure how easy it'd be to
compare the HTML outputs, might be messy. The important point is however
that there are probably quite a few people out here who'd like to convert
our old sites so that they don't use wikiwords any longer.

regards
/Christian