[pmwiki-users] Greedy targets= with trails?

Martin Fick fick at fgm.com
Mon Nov 21 10:36:25 CST 2005

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 11:10:01AM -0500, Martin Fick wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 10:42:43AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 07:06:07PM -0500, Martin Fick wrote:
> > >   I am using pmwiki2.0.0 and I noticed some strange behavior
> > > with the  targets= header index.
> > >
> > >   When a file gets saved it seems to update this target=
> > > greedily, particularly with respect to trails.  It seems to
> > > add the name of the previous and next pages to this.  This
> > > information can then become outdated if the trail is changed
> > > and will be  incorrectly reported by pagelists.
> >
> > It's possible to turn off target= information entirely, but
> > this will disable the links= option and cause the refcount.php
> > script to stop working.
> >
> > > I would prefer to run my site without any duplicate meta
> > > data in the file headers.
> >
> > Does this mean you would also prefer that PmWiki not save the
> > title= attribute?  Technically that is "duplicate meta data" also,
> > and disabling it will cause title markups to work somewhat incorrectly.
>
>   Yes, excpet that I want to eat my cake too and have the
> pmwiki internal know how to extract the title from a page
> without looking at a header.  It almost seems like the page
> meta data attributes should be something returned by the
> pagestore since they are effectively a caching mechanism.
> This way various other models could be plugged in, including
> one that does not cache at all.

  I probably should improve this statement since I know that
attributes are actually already returned by the pagestore.
The problem is that they are not SEARCHED at the pagestore
level!  You have mentioned before that you thought that
maybe search should be moved into the pagestore. This
example shows that both page-text searching and attribute
searching could benefit from this move.  This way the
attribute storage machnism could be altered at the pagestore
level without breaking too much.

-Martin