[pmwiki-users] FCKeditor?

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Mon Nov 21 11:57:15 CST 2005

Patrick R. Michaud schrieb:
> With the current state of web and browser technologies, I doubt
> that it's possible to come up with a system that simultaneously
> meets all of the following goals:
>     * cross-browser compatible
>     * graphical editing a la FCKEditor
>     * customizable markup and configuration
>     * OS independent
>     * allow authors to use different editing styles and editors

Drop the last one, and you're mostly set.

Since things like FCKEditor have paved the way, I think it's entirely
sensible to set up a Wiki like this:
* use HTML as markup
* do some fairly rigorous filtering
   to prevent the Bad Boys from inserting malware
* use a WYSIWYG editor so end users don't have to bother
   with HTML syntax.

I'm not sure what place current-day wikis would have in such a scenario.
I fear it's an adapt-or-perish situation though - simple wiki markup is
never enough (as witnessed by the feature bloat that all wikis have
succumbed to, sooner or later), so they all have a syntax that must be
*learned*, and a WYSIWYG editor lets people discover instead of learn
(and relieves them of syntactic subtleties).

Regards,
Jo