[pmwiki-users] Re: Search results: show page-titles

Martin Fick fick at fgm.com
Mon Nov 21 17:38:59 CST 2005

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 05:26:21PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 05:59:13PM -0500, Martin Fick wrote:
> > > But along these lines, I'm rapidly becoming a fan of the approach
> > > that the PageListTemplates recipe is taking, although I'm
> > > not sure I agree with the exact format of the {$...} markups
> > > it's using.  But with some modifications it might become a core
> > > candidate sometime in the very near future.
> >
> >   Fire away with suggestions please!! :)
>
> I was thinking shorter rather than longer, and overloading
> {...} rather than using (:...:).

I would love shorter, I am just to scared of writting markup
to use it in my recipe.  If it's part of the core and you
write it ...

> Currently we have {$Name}, {$Title}, {$Group}, etc., all
> of which refer to the currently browsed page (the one that
> appears in the browser's address bar).  For compatibility
> reasons (and because they're the common case) I don't want
> to change those.

I agree.

> Playing with syntax a bit, we want to get pagenames in
> there somewhere.  It makes sense to indicate up front
> the page name we're talking about, so perhaps the
> generic long form is {Group.OtherPage$Title}, with
> {OtherPage$Title} being available for pages in the same
> group.  So, one could then write
>
>     [[OtherPage]] was last modified on {OtherPage$LastModified}.
>
> For page templates, we're typically looping through a
> set of selected pages and generating output, so we'd want
> some sort of marker that means "the current page of
> interest".  However, I'd also like to be able to
> get at this in other markups, such as links, and it
> ought to be something that doesn't get in the way too
> much.  So, perhaps something like {^$Title} or {+$Title}
> to mean "the title of the most recently referenced page".

At first glance though (^$Title) looks like the previous
page and {+$Title} like the next page.  What about {=$Title}
for the current reference page?

> It'd be really cool to be able to write things like
>
>     [[OtherPage?action=edit | Edit {+$Title}]]
>
>     [[SomePage]] was last modified on {+$LastModified}
>
> and have the "+" know what to do in each case, but
> the markup sequencing right is very very tricky in
> those cases.  I might have to wait until later.

Way cool!!

> Anyway, I don't have the exact syntax I'd like to use
> yet, but I'm wanting to stay closer to {$...} and
> to make sure it's not too long to write and understand.

YES!!!!!!

-Martin