[pmwiki-users] Workflow?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Nov 28 13:05:09 CST 2005

I've already sent my proposal (previous message), but for completeness
I'd like to also reflect on some individual points raised here.

> And I submit that Scenario C is far more difficult to deal with than
> Scenarios A or B. If Bob sees that Alice has something in the works (by
> seeing that a DRAFT comes up when he goes into edit), he can wait a
> couple of hours to find out what's going on; much less risky in terms of
> lost work.

Your scenario C makes perfect sense.  However, as I've understood the
various proposals the "edit" action would *always* come up with a draft,
so Bob can't simply look for the word "draft" to know that Alice
has something in the works.  Bob would have to actually look at the
draft contents to see if anything is different.

> - with PmWiki there is always (certainly where drafting capability is
> selected) a small group working in any page group with a PmWiki
> installation, and these people can talk to each other to set
> expectations and administrative protocol.

I don't think this is universally true -- I have a number of sites
where the author pool is fairly large, and there's no administrative
protocol in place.  For these applications introducing the concept of
"drafts/release cycle" would tend to confuse/discourage authors.

> - You could place a notice on top of the edit page: THIS IS A DRAFT or
> some such.

In my proposal, this would be evident from having "-Draft" appear in
the page name (where it says "Editing Group.PageName-Draft").

> - Once a user has submitted an edit or higher authorization you could
> have (through <!--DraftInformation-->) a notice on the display page
> (THERE IS A PENDING DRAFT) or even a "See Draft Version" Button.

This capability can be added with a conditional markup rule, or
a <!--markup:...--> directive in the page template.

> - You could include the most recent author (with perhaps an email
> address/contact method?) at the top of the edit page.

This can be done with the {$LastModifiedBy} and {$LastModified}
markups in the EditForm.