[pmwiki-users] ajax stuff ?

Waylan Limberg waylan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 12:52:01 CDT 2005

On 10/10/05, trip somewhere <trip0o at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello all, has anyone started to look into more dynamic ajax stuff for
> the wiki's ?

I'm haven't been keeping up much on javascript myself, but here is
someinteresting reading for the right way to do it:
http://particletree.com/features/the-hows-and-whys-of-degradable-ajax/

>From the article:

[quote]
Currently, we have managed to send off an Ajax request and make sure
everything works regardless of the JavaScript settings. Now we have to
see how the server will handle the different requests. The easiest way
to approach this is to modify the query string of the different
requests.

Do the same thing for the URL in your Ajax call, except flag it as being Ajax.

url = "processList.php?action=delete&ajax=yes";

On processList.php, we can now easily handle the request.
[/quote]

Obviously, its out of context, but that's the way I'd envision PmWiki
to work with Ajax. If the ajax=yes (or true or 1...) is in the url,
then PmWiki would respond acordingly. Otherwise, you get normal
current behavior. I would think it should be something that could be
done in a recipe. Although, I suppose its possable some things in the
core may need to be adjusted. But Patrick seems to generally work with
such requests if they're resonable and don't affect the way things
work to greatly.

Oh, and while I'm on the subject, here is an interesting review of
some of the more popular Ajax libraries:
http://slash7.com/articles/2005/10/07/design-your-software-mdash-please
Hope this helps anyone exploring the possabilities.

--
----
Waylan Limberg
waylan at gmail.com