[pmwiki-users] Notes and plans for PmWiki 2.1

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Oct 21 10:56:59 CDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 05:12:26PM +0200, Xax wrote:
> Dear Patrick,
>
> I am afraid I am falling in love with PmWiki and I am more afraid I am
> going to use it in several installations for a long time.
>
> One feature I badly miss, I already requested and I failed to implement
> is a consistent use of alternative file naming in this way:
>
> 	/group/this-is-a-page-name/
>

> 1. all lowercase
> 2. hyphens between words
> 3. trailing slash at the end

I'll start from the end.

#3:  Trailing slash at the end is no problem-- in fact, you can do
this already with a line in config.php:

    $pagename = preg_replace('!/$', '', $pagename);

#2: Hyphens between words can be problematic, because sometimes a hyphen
is a space and sometimes it's really a hyphen.  Better is probably
to follow MediaWiki's lead and use underscores:

    /group/this_is_a_page_name

But this could ultimately cause issues with SpaceWikiWords and the
AsSpaced function.  But I'll investigate providing appropriate
replacements for all of the functions involved to make
spaces-in-names a possibility.

#1: I don't think that all lowercase can be easily done without
committing to some major changes in PmWiki's internals, especially
with respect to the saving of pages to disk.  I *think* I can make
case-insensitive urls an option, and I'm fairly certain I can
get PmWiki to generate most if not all page links to use only
lowercase letters.  But it's a non-trivial exercise, whereas I'm
hoping that 2.1 won't take too long to implement.

Perhaps I'll include case-insensitive urls in the list for 2.1.
It's come up enough recently that I think I'll list it as a
CoreCandidate, and put case-insensitive urls on the "maybe" list
as an option for 2.1.

So, I've unsuspended http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/00322 and
put it on the CoreCandidate and release 2.1 list.  Cast votes
there... :-)