[pmwiki-users] PageListTemplates recipe extended

Daniel Scheibler scheibi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 02:04:23 CDT 2005

Hello,

2005/10/26, Martin Fick <fick at fgm.com>:
> > The updated recipe is available at
> > http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PageListTemplates
>
>   I have updated it again slightly so that the new variables
> you have added are loaded on demand if they are not set
> already.  I have been meaning to add every variable that I
> can think of, the on demand stuff was holding me back a
> little.

superb.

>   Since it is now ready for more variables, I have a naming
> question. It seems like the variable names might be too long
> and hard to remember/type.  If I add more, this risks
> getting even worse, any ideas/suggestions on this?
>
>   I was thinking of dishing the 'PageList' prefix in favor
> of 'Page', 'Prev', 'Next', 'Is' and 'Count' like this:
>

>    Current Name                                Suggested New Name
>
>    {$PageList.Name}                            {$Page.Name}
>    {$PageList.NameSpaced}                      {$Page.NameSpaced}
>    {$PageList.Group}                           {$Page.Group}
>    {$PageList.GroupSpaced}                     {$Page.GroupSpaced}
>    {$PageList.LastModified}                    {$Page.LastModified}
>    {$PageList.LastModifiedBy}                  {$Page.LastModifiedBy}
>

>    {$PageList.PreviousName}                    {$Prev.Name}
>    {$PageList.PreviousNameSpaced}              {$Prev.NameSpaced}
>    {$PageList.PreviousGroup}                   {$Prev.Group}
>    {$PageList.PreviousGroupSpaced}             {$Prev.GroupSpaced}
>    {$PageList.PreviousLastModified}            {$Prev.LastModified}
>    {$PageList.PreviousLastModifiedBy}          {$Prev.LastModifiedBy}
>

>    {$PageList.NextName}                        {$Next.Name}
>    {$PageList.NextNameSpaced}                  {$Next.NameSpaced}
>    {$PageList.NextGroup}                       {$Next.Group}
>    {$PageList.NextGroupSpaced}                 {$Next.GroupSpaced}
>    {$PageList.NextLastModified}                {$Next.LastModified}
>    {$PageList.NextLastModifiedBy}              {$Next.LastModifiedBy}
>

>    {$PageList.FirstGroupPage}                  {$Is.FirstGroupPage}
>    {$PageList.LastGroupPage}                   {$Is.LastGroupPage}
>    {$PageList.FirstPage}                       {$Is.FirstPage}
>    {$PageList.LastPage}                        {$Is.LastPage}
>

>    {$PageList.PageCount}                       {$Count.Pages}
>    {$PageList.GroupPageCount}                  {$Count.GroupPages}
>    {$PageList.GroupCount}                      {$Count.Groups}
>
>   I'm not sure I like the 'Page' prefix, but 'Cur' just
> seems lame.  Any other suggestions?  Is there any reason to
> keep the stict namespace separation with the 'PageList'
> prefix, or is it simply overkill?

I think, the variable names should point unique towards the cookbook.
My preferred solution would be $PageList.Curr.xyz, $PageList.Prev.xyz
$PageList.Next.xyz or maybe $PL.Curr.xyz, $PL.Pref.xyz, $PL.Next.xyz.

>   After this I would add all the stats available within the
> page array.  I might then suggest something like:
>
>    {$Page.LastModified.Time}
>    {$Page.LastModified.Host}
>    {$Page.LastModified.Author}
>    {$Page.LastModified.Agent}
>
>    {$Page.Title}
>    {$Page.TitleSpaced}
>    {$Page.Revision}
>    {$Page.Version}
>    {$Page.Size}
>    {$Page.Targets}
>
> with 'Prev' and 'Next' versions for all of these, of course.

great.

>   Any other stuff I should include?  What about
> authorization data?  I know Patrick has created a summary
> page with authorization. data, but this could easily be done
> with this recipe if the data is available.  I haven't looked
> into it yet so I don't know where I would get the
> authorization data.  If anyone wants this and wants to point
> me in the right direction, I will look into adding it.

It would be nice, if this will although configurable.

>   All feedback appreciated,

done ;-)

Greets,

Daniel Scheibler