[pmwiki-users] UserAuth

Rob Fisher Rob at robfisher.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Sep 2 10:10:48 CDT 2005

I'm trying to add user authentication to my public wiki, so that guests
can read the pages, but only I can edit them.

I have successfully installed the UserAuth recipe, and have created the
.htpasswd file which contains my user name and password.  When I try to
edit a page I get prompted for my username and password, which are
successfully processed.  So far so good!

I now want to make the system a little more sophisticated so that the Edit
(History and Upload) links are only visible once a user is logged in.  It
would also be nice to add a specific Login link, and even better to have
one that automatically changed to Logout if the user was already logged
in.  I must admit that as a newcomer to PmWiki I am finding the help in
the cookbook rather hard to follow.

Here come the questions...!

1) There seem to be two recipes that handle user authentication...
UserAuth and AuthUser.  What is the difference?  Which is more newbie
friendly!?

2) Using UserAuth-Admintool I see the users that I defined, but any
alterations that I make causes the error... "Notice: userauth htpasswd
file is not writable in..." What access rights need to be assigned to
.htpassword? (At present it is 644 -rw-r--r--)

3) The skin that I am using is Simple.  This defines the Edit link in the
simple.tmpl file.  Could someone give me a pointer as to how I can use
conditional formatting (ie hide the edit link) based upon the current
users.  It confuses me as the HTML seems to be outside the scope of
PmWiki's conditional markup.

The site URL is http://www.robfisher.info/Wolf
The username and password are both set to 'test' (without the quotes)

Thanks for any assistance you can give.  This group has already been very
kind, welcoming and helpful :)

Rob.