[pmwiki-users] sending email off-list

Waylan Limberg waylan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 10:42:03 CDT 2005

On 9/3/05, Radu <radu at monicsoft.net> wrote:

> Just noticed a couple of messages addressed to me directly, but in
> reply to list messages.
>
> If someone wants to send something to me directly (or to anyone else,
> I suppose), please take the [pmwiki-users] off the subject line, or
> it's possible for your message to get lost in the mailing list traffic.

Yeah, I've been guilty of that a few times, although I don't know if
it was you I sent them to. The problem, IMO, is with how the list is
set up. When you sent a message (new subject) to the list, the list
sends it out to everyone with your address in the FROM header and
<pmwiki-users at pmichaud.com> in the TO header so when one selects
'reply' in their email client the address in the FROM header is used
as the REPLY-TO address.

The quick fix I've found to to always select "Reply to all" in my
email client so <pmwiki-users at pmichaud.com> at least gets entered in
the CC field. The problem is that I also subscribe to a few other
non-related lists and they are set up as described below, so if I
don't stop to think before clicking, I don't always click on the
correct thing.

Ideally, IMHO, the list should be configured so that
<pmwiki-users at pmichaud.com> is included in the REPLY-TO header on all
mail sent from the list. That way, whenever anyone hits reply in their
email client, the reply will be directed to the list by default. (an
alternate config would be to have a private list where the senders
email is replaced with <pmwiki-users at pmichaud.com> in the FROM header
- this would hide the original senders address and cause 'reply' in
email clients to send to the list by default as well)

I've been wanting to complain about this for a little while now, but
just haven't bothered. Anyone else feels this way/have this problem?
Could the list be configured that way?

--
----
Waylan Limberg