[pmwiki-users] Converting WikiStyle shortcuts to CSS classes

Russell Bailey russell-pmwiki at saberpunk.net
Mon Sep 12 11:39:32 CDT 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

>On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 12:54:35AM -0400, Russell Bailey wrote:
>

>>In others,  however,
>>like WikiStyles,  I'd really like to be able to show what the style
>>looks like,  but also be able to convert it back to wiki markup by name
>>rather than by properties.
>>

>What if we just stored the wikistyle source in a comment upon output?
>
>    %red% This is red text %% normal text
>
>becomes
>
>    <!--%red%--><span style='color:red'>This is red text <!--%%--></span>
>    normal text
>
>Then it'd be pretty easy to recover the wikistyle specification
>that was entered at that point, while still allowing the HTML editing.

That would work.  However,  if I can practically implement it,  I think
I'd prefer to go with two-way conversion between WikiStyle shortcuts and
classes.  Personally,  I like the idea of retaining as much of the
semantics of the original document in the HTML as possible.  In
practice,  we're not just going to be dealing with effects like %red%-
custom wikistyles are often things like %audience%,  which may have
meaning to a user or program looking at the page.

Russell