[pmwiki-users] Re: View action not active

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Sep 14 13:16:34 CDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 01:48:35PM -0400, Waylan Limberg wrote:
> Hey, your right. I thought I checked that and it displayed as a link
> in edit view. Maybe not. Anyway, yes, in edit view or any view besides
> 'browse' the links should be actual links. I would say that that is in
> fact a bug. Anyone?

I agree that there's a probable bug here but I suspect my view is a
little different.  I think that anything in double brackets in the markup
ought to be a link, even if the target of the link is the current
page.  (Otherwise the author wouldn't have put it in double-brackets.)

So, I'm thinking that $LinkPageSelfFmt ought to be deprecated
(or at least discouraged) in favor of $WikiLinkSelfFmt, which would
describe the format to be used for self-referencing wikiwords, which
is what $LinkPageSelfFmt was really intended to address.

But this doesn't do what you're asking for the "View" link, because that
link is in fact generated from double-bracket markup, so it would still
end up being a link.  What would really make it easiest to solve this
problem would be if there existed a CSS property that can cause an
<a ...> tag to not be an active link.  Anyone know of such a thing?

Short of that, we'd have to create a bit of very special-purpose and
somewhat complicated link handling code to detect self-page-links
based on actions.  And we have to ask if there are other factors
besides actions that need to be tested as well -- for example, would
either of the following be considered a "self-link" of the other...?

    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Site/Search

    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Site/Search?q=groups

Note that both links are to the same page and have $action == 'browse',
but are they self-links?

I think I can add a capability to truly detect self-links, as long
as we can decide with some degree of precision what constitutes a
"real" self-link.