[pmwiki-users] title directive and links

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Sep 21 10:38:13 CDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 08:11:20AM -0700, Dan Weber wrote:
> I have a question regarding the (:title text:) directive. If I put a
> link to a page that contains such a title directive, wouldn't it be
> better if the text displayed with the link would be the specified
> title, instead of the page name? Right now I have to manually specify
> the text for the link with the [[MyPage|My Link Name]] syntax and it
> would be really great if PmWiki could use whatever the (:title:)
> directive specified.

Unfortunately this doesn't quite work for [[free link]] formats.
If I have a page called "PageList" with (:title List of pages:),
then an author is going to be a bit surprised when

    Take a look at the [[page list]]ing.

displays as

    Take a look at the List of pagesing.

However, take a look at the TitledLinks cookbook recipe, at

    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/TitledLinks

This adds a [[PageName|+]] markup that uses the title of PageName
as the link text.  I've just updated the recipe to eliminate a bug
or two and make it a bit more compatible with 2.0.6.