[pmwiki-users] Re: Recipe looking for author -- (:mail:)...(:mailend:)

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Sun Sep 25 03:13:52 CDT 2005

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 12:28:12PM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
> > I just copied'n'pasted an e-mail onto my wiki and realised that it'd be
> > good to have a special markup to wrap around the e-mail.
> > [...]
> > So how about if we introduce a special markup, (:mail:)...(:mailend:), to
> > be placed around e-mails? I'm far from sure about exactly what the
> > markup should do, but here's some of the things I think might be useful:
> > * Recognize links
> > * Recongize e-mail addresses
> > * Break long lines automatically (perhaps assuming 80 characters wide)
> > * Preserve line breaks?
>
> As an alternative, what if we did something along the lines of
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/ExcelPaste, where someone can
> paste in an email message, press a button and PmWiki "re-formats" the
> email format into PmWiki markup?

I've never tested that recipe, how does it work. Does pressing the "Excel"
button make pmwiki parse the source for Excel-looking things and then
parse it?

Would it be possible to make an approach like this work with a separate
editor, i.e. pmwiki-mode for Emacs?

> The concern I have with (:mail:)...(:mailend:) is that we're effectively
> saying that PmWiki pages can have two separate markups -- one for normal
> text and a second, somewhat different one for embedded email messages.

I understand your concern... does it make a difference that an embedded
mail message ought to be static, i.e. not editable?

As a side note, doesn't your argument also apply to these as well:
	http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Beautifier
	http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/CodeBlock

I'm afraid I don't understand the difference?

/Christian