[pmwiki-users] Re: Search broken in latest version?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Sep 25 08:46:54 CDT 2005

On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 09:57:18AM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
> > > I just noticed that searcing for e.g. 'attach:' returns waaaay too many
> > > pages... try this link for instance:
> > > http://pmwiki.org/wiki?PHPSESSID=6f0e99eadf3150d21587ca3583c618f2&n=PmWiki.PmWiki&action=search&q=Attach%3A
> >
> > Try searching for "attach:" with the quotes.  Without the quotes,
> > PmWiki's ParseArgs function thinks you're specifying a search option
> > named "attach".
>
> Hmm... I suspect you think I was using the URI to directly to search for
> this text. What I mean is that typing
> 	attach:
> into the search form on e.g. pmwiki.org and then pressing Search returns
> way too many pages (2790 pages out of 2790 pages).

I understood what you were commenting on...just as one can type
"group:Main" or "fmt:simple" in the searchbox to set the "group"
or "fmt" options for the search, typing "attach:" in the searchbox
is being treated as setting an "attach" option for the search.

In general, searching for anything containing a colon or an equals
sign should be specified in quotes.  Perhaps it's not all that
intuitive, but in many respects it's similar to Google and other
search engines where searches for things containing special
characters need to be quoted.