[pmwiki-users] General Farming Questions

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Sep 27 15:23:38 CDT 2005

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 01:00:01PM -0600, Allyen E. Wilson wrote:
> I am not a a very technical computer user. I am exploring using
> pmWiki as a collaboration tool for my wifes consulting business. We
> consult in non-technical issues with non-technical people.
>
> Will non-technical people be comfortable with using a wiki that would
> include file uploads/downloads?

I've managed to use the wiki in a number of non-technical environments
and people don't seem to have a big problem with the idea of
file uploads/downloads.  (In fact, this is why I generally refer to
them as "page attachments" instead of "uploads".)

> Is a farm the best solution for multiple clients? We want each client
> to have own wiki and not have access to other clients wiki's. Should
> I have a seperate wiki installation for each client?

If each client will have a separate domain name, or needs multiple
wikigroups, then yes, a wiki farm tends to work best for this.

However, it's worth noting that my original intent for wikigroups
was to be able to easily support multiple clients under a single wiki,
where each client could look substantially different from the others.
(In my case, I needed the "clients" to be able to create their own
sections of the wiki without needing to bug me to do it for them. :-)