[pmwiki-users] LaTeX rendering

Nils Knappmeier nk at knappi.org
Wed Sep 28 09:12:53 CDT 2005

Hi,

in a new project of mine, it might be good to replace the whole PmWiki
rendering engine by something else. I was thinking about rendering LaTeX
documents in the wiki directly, so that it is not wiki markup but LaTeX
markup that is to be edited by the user.
The problem is, that the LaTeX language cannot be parsed using regular
expressions, so it is also not possible to convert every possible LaTeX
document (e.g. nested tables) into wiki markup. It also means that the
PmWiki rendering engine cannot be used to parse LaTex. A friend of mine
has written a parser, I would like to know, if it is possible to use a
completely different engine to render the HTML from the wiki source or
how difficult it would be to include this (efficiently) so that
enhancements are possible in this direction.

Nils