[pmwiki-users] RFC: Core candidate offerings

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Apr 1 00:36:46 CST 2006

On Sat, Apr 01, 2006 at 02:14:51PM +1200, John Rankin wrote:
> So a new directive tells pmwiki to interpret one return as
> denoting an end of paragraph. And we use css classes to
> control the spacing between paragraphs. And now a paragraph
> is a paragraph is a paragraph. What about lists?
>
> * item 1
>
> * item 2
> * item 3
>
> would produce

> <li class='spaced'>item 2</li>
>
> Would this be a desirable and feasible approach?

It would mean that PmWiki would have to become a *lot*
smarter about knowing how to manipulate all of the
various HTML tags to be able to add class='spaced' to them.
We have to make sure not to accidentally destroy or corrupt
any existing class='...' attributes on the tags, and wikistyle
processing has to be able to take the possible existence of the
class='...' attributes into account also, since HTML doesn't
allow a tag to have multiple class='...' attributes.

And if the HTML tags that need the spacing are buried in
a Keep() sequence somewhere, then does PmWiki have any business
modifying them to add the class='space' attribute?  Or
do we simply say that it's not possible to get vertical
whitespace before something that happens to be preserved
from markup rules via Keep()?

Lastly, I have trouble seeing how something like

    <li class='spaced'>item 2</li>

is substantially different from

    <li>item 2</li>

in terms of any real ability to control the styling of the
output using CSS.