[pmwiki-users] RFC: Core candidate offerings

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 02:06:12 CST 2006

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> Actually, it's come up in a number of different contexts and email
> messages.  At present, there's not a way to have a center-justified
> paragraph followed immediately by a left-justified paragraph (i.e.,
> without an intervening vertical space).
>
>     %center% This is center-justified
>     %left% This is still center-justified.
>
> In the most recent instance, Allister Jenks has asked to be able
> to produce paragraphs that have less than a full paragraph
> space between them.  At present there's not a clean way to
> achieve this, but by introducing either #2 or #3 above,
> there is at least the possibility of:
>
>     #2:  using leading-\ to mean new paragraph
>
>     #3:  using leading-% to mean new paragraph
>
>     Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.
>     %p top-margin:0.5em% Nunc vitae turpis ac pede suscipit dapibus.
>     %p top-margin:0.5em% Fusce auctor. Quisque posuere libero ac nulla.

My first reaction to leaading-\ as markup for starting a new paragraph was
simply ouch... Could it at least be '\\\', which corresponds to the
trailing-\\\ for a new paragraph?

Then I also wonder how this should be interpreted

	\

The line with the single '\', is it a line continuation? Or does it start
a new paragraph? Does the outcome also depend on a possible whitespace
charactar after the '\'?

Here are some other ideas for marking a new paragraph:

#1 Use something explicit like (:p:) or (:newpar:) to force a new
   paragraph, i.e

	Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.
	(:p:) %p top-margin:0.5em% Nunc vitae turpis ac pede
	(:newpar:)
	%p top-margin:0.5em% Fusce auctor. Quisque pos

#2 Using \\\

	Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.
	\\\ %p top-margin:0.5em% Nunc vitae turpis ac pede
	\\\
	%p top-margin:0.5em% Fusce auctor. Quisque pos

   Although... I'm not sure how this should be interpreted

	\\\

#3 Using [==] on a line by itself, making the line non-empty

	Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.
	[==]
	%p top-margin:0.5em% Nunc vitae turpis ac pede
	[==]
	%p top-margin:0.5em% Fusce auctor. Quisque pos

Actually, I have always thought of the vertical lines as a paragraph
breaker, so I might prefer something like a special wiki style (called
'noparsep' or 'noparskip' to indicate that there should be no space
between the paragraphs, e.g.

	Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.

	%noparsep% %p top-margin:0.5em% Nunc vitae turpis ac pede

	%noparskip% %p top-margin:0.5em% Fusce auctor. Quisque pos

/Christian (whose 'U'-key just broke on his keyboard :-(