[pmwiki-users] (:vspace:)/(:hspace:) (Was: Eliminating <p class='vspace'></p>

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 04:34:08 CST 2006

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> After 2+ years of making essentially the same arguments
> over and over again about the <p class='vspace'></p> tags in
> output (and coming to the same conclusions each time), I find
> I'm weary of the ongoing struggle and just want it to go away.

*LOL* This is the first time I've heard this particular reason for
changing something...

> So, let's eliminate <p class='vspace'></p>, even if it
> screws things up.

I'm not going to ask about the reasons against <p class='vspace'></p>
(you're probably sick of that). Anyway, from using LyX/LaTeX I'm spoiled
with having \vspace and \hspace... I think it'd be neat to have something
similar for the wiki. Not that I'm sure this would actually help the
current problems....

Anyway, for vertical space, what about a directive (:vspace:) that by
default inserts some vertical space, while e.g. (:vspace 1ex:) would
insert a specific vertical space. I'm assuming a suitable '<div>' can
generated for this.

For horizontal space, I'm thinking of something similar... and I know
there are situations where I've wanted to insert some horisontal space. As
it is right now, I've resorted to 'a &nsbp; &nbsp; &nsbp; b'. Or when I've
got MimeTeX installed, 'a {$\hspace{4em}$} b'.

/Christian

PS. In a perfect world I could also get the equivalent of \hfill, but
that's probably asking for too much :-(

In case you don't know what \hfill is, think of it as something that
swallows any available horizontal space. For instance:

	* First item.(:hfill:)This is right justified
	* Second item, fun! (:hfill:)Also right.

would become

	* First item.			    This is right justified
	* Second item, fun!				Also right.

And if you have more than one hfill, they share the available space:

	bla bla(:hfill:)bla(:hfill:)bla

which results in

	bla bla		     bla		bla bla

Anyway, I'm just doing some wishful dreaming here...