[pmwiki-users] ~~~~ ????

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Apr 2 16:52:06 CDT 2006

On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 02:35:02PM -0700, Gary Spivey wrote:
>    I tried the following [@~~~~@] as well as [=~~~~=] and neither one escaped
>    the replacement.
>
>    I looked at the PmWiki page where I learned that I could use ~~~~ and it
>    has:
>
>    :@@~~@@@@~@@ (author's signature):
>    :@@~~@@@@~~@@ (authors signature and date):
>
>    Why does the escape not work with the ~~~~? What is the rationale for this
>    - is there some type of markup that can't be escaped? What else is
>    affected like this?

Normally PmWiki markups are processed when a page is being
viewed or browsed, and this is where escapes take place.

However, the ~~~ and ~~~~ patterns are special in that they
take place when a page is being saved -- i.e., not as part of
the normal markup processing (where escapes are processed).

The only places where this has an effect in the core distribution
of PmWiki is the ~~~, ~~~~, and (:encrypt:) markups, which have
to be escaped specially to prevent the replace-on-save from
having an impact.

OTOH, I could probably update the ReplaceOnSave() function so
that it handles the escape/restore needed around replacements.
(But it's still important to remember that replace-on-save
markups act very differently from normal markups.)