[pmwiki-users] Free markup character?

Allister Jenks arj at zkarj.co.nz
Wed Apr 5 19:40:12 CDT 2006

On 4/6/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:

> By convention PmWiki has always explicitly reserved the '='
> character for custom markup sequences.

Excepting [= =] ??

>    Can anybody educate me on why I broke >><< by defining ";", and/or
> suggest
> >    a suitable markup I could implement?
> >
> >    I had Markup("", "inline", "/;(.*?);/", "<span
> style='font-style:italic;
> >    color:#0000c0;'>$1</span>");
>
> It's probably not the semicolon that broke the markup...there
> appear to be a couple of issues with the rule as written here:
>
> 1.  Every markup needs a name; I don't know how PmWiki will
> react to using "" as a markup name.  (I suspect not well at all.)

Unintentional and I didn't realise until you pointed it out.  Oops!

2.  Semicolons occur in lots of places other than markup text.
> In particular, the string you're using to replace ";(.*?);"
> contains a pair of semicolons itself.  Since the replacement
> string isn't escaped or preserved in any way, the semicolon
> replacement pattern is probably being a bit over-eager and
> adding <span> around any pair of semicolons it may happen to find --
> even those that are coming from other HTML tags or other markups.

Ah the perils of knowing just enough to be dangerous!  I must admit I was
only thinking of the marked up text as seen in source/edit view and not of
the generated HTML.  I'll have a closer look at regex and try to tighten the
rule, and use something with an =.

This last point is similar to the reason why it's difficult to do a
> markup like /italic/ -- there are a lot of things that
> have slashes in them that aren't intended to be italics,
> such as urls  (http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki), fractions (3/4),
> and/or, closing HTML tags such as </b>, </span>, etc.

Point well made.

Does this suggest the need for a page in the standard distribution which
somehow utilises *all* of the markup rules?  Maybe that is to big an ask?  I
would imagine only one sort of directive would be required, which would help
reduce the requirement.

See I was lucky in that to get to the page where I wanted to deploy the ; ;
markup I had to go through one with >><< which is what broke.  If I hadn't I
don't know how long it would have taken me to stumble on the problem.  By
having a page as described above, it would allow a quick comparison check to
see if anything had broken.

Just a thought.

--
Allister