[pmwiki-users] [OT] Spammers (was: Recipe "Guestbook" getting dozens of spam entries a day)

Thomas -Balu- Walter list+pmwiki-users at b-a-l-u.de
Wed Aug 2 06:28:45 CDT 2006

On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 09:13:26AM -0500, David Sovinski wrote:
> My Guestbook recipe is getting dozens of automated junk entries a day.
>
> My Group "Guestbook" has a password so only I can edit (read that as
> clean-up the mess) the resulting content.
>
> What can I do to stop the bots from generating these porno links?

I'd like to quote something I've read in a newsgroup. The reason for
this was HTML-Posts being sent to the group, but I think it works fairly
well for spammers too...

"The PROPER way to handle HTML postings is to cancel the article, then
hire a hitman to kill the poster, his wife and kids, and fuck his dog
and smash his computer into little bits. Anything more is just
extremism." -- Paul Tomblin

Those spammers use automated scripts to fill any form with a textarea
with their trash - no matter if it is a guestbook, a comment form or
even a catalogue order page that is not displayed anywhere after sending
(as it happens to one of our customers).

     Balu
PS: Yes, I'm really mad about this spammy world :-/